Omicron Deuteron Chapter History
- The Omicron Deuteron Chapter of Phi Sigma Kappa was initially founded at the
University of Alabama February 9, 1925. Prior to then it was organized as Phi Tau Omega, a local
Fraternity with no affiliation to the current Phi Sigma Kappa Fraternity. The first faculty advisor of
Omicron Deuteron was Dr. Albert Moore for whom Moore Hall (where the current Department
of Kinesiology is located) was named. The Chapter existed at the University of Alabama over sixty
years with some periods more successful than others. In 1942 the chapter was unofficially closed,
since most of the OD members had gone to World War II. The Chapter was reopened in 1945
after the war at the location (801 10th Avenue), as we knew of the "old house." Brother Frank
Massey OD'48 was one of the original Brothers that reopened the house in 1945. The Chapter's
greatest success spanned the period from the mid-1950s to the late-l960s when membership was
stable, academic achievement outstanding, and participation in intramurals and campus
- But, Omicron Deuteron, not unlike most Greek organization, had “down time” in the
early-to-mid-seventies with sagging membership and an increased apathy towards the Greek
lifestyle. Stabilization occurred somewhat in the late seventies, but membership dropped through
the 1980's despite recruitment efforts of active members. In 1988, the Grand Chapter of Phi
Sigma Kappa suspended the Omicron Deuteron Chapter, and the Chapter essentially ceased
operations for two years. In the spring of 1990, the Grand Chapter launched an effort to bring the
Chapter back to the campus at the University of Alabama. Grand Chapter officers Todd Simpson
(Director of Member Services) and Lou Redenbaugh (Director of Expansion) received assistance
from Kappa Deuteron (Georgia Tech) and Phi Deuteron (Kentucky) chapters to help recruit the
“new” men of Omicron Deuteron. The new Colony was established that spring with
approximately twenty-five men, and was awarded a new charter two and one-half years later on
October 24, 1992. The chapter made great strides early on, but by 1998 had fallen victim to poor
recruitment, financial problems, member neglect, and no alumni participation. The chapter
closed in 1999, and the Phi Sigma Kappa Grand Chapter withdrew the Charter.
- However, with tenacity and vision a group of dedicated alumni bonded together in
unparalleled brotherhood to develop an alumni club that is today second to none. The alumni
club has more active members than ever. Since May of 1999 the major goal was to bring an
Omicron Deuteron 'Colony' back to the campus at the University of Alabama and ultimately
establishing a re-chartered undergraduate chapter. After a period of growth the Interest Group
that was founded in 2002 became a colony in late 2006 when it was Associated back into the Phi
Sigma Kappa fold. In April, 2007, the Phi Sigma Kappa Grand President was on hand to present
the Chapter Charter following the initiation of the Colony to once again establish the Omicron
Since 1999, the Alumni Club has grown significantly. Active alumni have regularly
attended Phi Sigma Kappa General Conventions and Leadership Schools; and the club has made
philanthropic contributions to the Phi Sigma Kappa Foundation. Several Omicron Deuteron
Brothers have been elevated to the 4th and 5th degree having served and continuing their service on
a national basis. In 2007 the House Corporation was duly registered with the Secretary of State
and now has official status as a Non-Profit Corporation in the State of Alabama.
- In recognition of the Alumni Club’s significant achievements, the Grand Chapter
President presented the club the President's Special Achievement award at the 2002 Leadership
School in Indianapolis, Indiana, the National Convention in Las Vegas in 2005, the National
Convention in Nashville, Tennessee in 2007, the 2008 Leadership School in Indianapolis, and the
2009 General Convention in Boston. Few Alumni Clubs can claim these achievements, and we
are Damn Proud to have received them.
Semi-annual club meetings are held and well attended by alumni and chapter members.
The first meeting is held during A-Day weekend, and the second meeting is held in Tuscaloosa
during Homecoming weekend at the University. Also, at Homecoming, the Alumni Club presents
a $500.00 scholarship to a member of the undergraduate chapter who has achieved academic
excellence. The recipients are then eligible for a matching grant from the Phi Sigma Kappa
Foundation. "The Outstanding Phi Sig of the Year Award," and the "Founders Award" are both
presented periodically to deserving active club members.
Through the efforts of many alumni, "lost brothers" have been found, and a list of nearly
four-hundred alumni is maintained with more than fifty of them dues-paying active members. The
club has an email directory of over one-hundred brothers and effectively communicates with each.
An annual newsletter is published and made available for viewing on the OD web page.
For the benefit of members lacking access to the web page, all members
receive two annual mailings with significant information about alumni club and chapter activities.
Former Chapter house locations at the University of Alabama include the former Delta
Gamma house on sorority row; the house located at 801 10th Avenue that was razed to provide
room for the first expansion of Bryant-Denny stadium; the house that was the original Kappa
Sigma house on University Boulevard (fraternity row) was also razed to make room for the new
street behind the Education library; the Delta Gamma house that was razed to provide room for
the second expansion of Bryant-Denny stadium; and the old Sigma Chi house on University
- In November, 2006, The Alumni Club was notified that Brother James Maxwell
Brown, OD ’27, had bequeathed through his Charitable Trust, funds in excess of $232,000.00 for
the purpose of providing housing for the Omicron Deuteron Chapter. With these funds and the
funds currently in the Alumni Club housing fund we will acquire a new house when the University
has one available and approves our application to acquire such.
OD Colony Established. During the weekend of September 22-23, 2006, 25 young
men were officially associated into Phi Sigma Kappa, thus starting the Omicron Deuteron Colony.
Omicron Deuteron Re-chartered at Alabama. On Saturday, April 21, 2007, the
Omicron Deuteron Chapter at the University of Alabama was re-chartered, returning to the
campus after an eight year absence. On hand for the ceremonies held during the weekend were
PSK Grand President Dave Spreitzer; PSK Grand Council Director Glenn Roby; PSK Foundation
Trustee and President of the Omicron Deuteron Alumni Club, Scott Lyons; Grant Neckermann
Expansion Director, PSK Grand Chapter; Omicron Deuteron Chapter Advisor/ District Governor
Jim Craig and District Governor Frank Tortorici.
- Thirty one (31) new Brothers were initiated by a ritual team composed of Brothers
from both Gamma Triton at the University of South Carolina and Upsilon Septaton at Clemson
University. PSK Grand Council Director Glenn Roby presented the Charter to Tom Childress,
President of the OD Chapter.
The weekend activity was culminated with a formal banquet held at the Four Points
Sheraton in Tuscaloosa and was attended by new Brothers and their dates, parents of the new
brothers and Omicron Deuteron alumni, and special guests from the PSK Grand Chapter and